This marks the second time Detroit Tigers infielder Javier Báez will represent his home country in the World Baseball Classic.
Detroit Tigers infielder Javier Báez will join Puerto Rico for the 2023 World Baseball Classic per a report by Michael Clair of MLB.com.
Javier Báez intends to represent Puerto Rico again at the 2023 #WorldBaseballClassic! pic.twitter.com/D9vM66bawc
— MLB (@MLB) September 7, 2022
Tigers manager A.J. Hinch said a few weeks back he encourages his players to play in the World Baseball Classic.
“ I want all of our guys to play in the WBC” #Tigers manager A.J.Hinch on players like Javier Baez and Joe Jimenez playing in the #WorldBaseballClassic pic.twitter.com/PHWGHpXxbd
— Rogelio Castillo (@rogcastbaseball) August 30, 2022
A history of the Detroit Tigers in the World Baseball Classic
The WBC started in 2006 as teams from around the world play against each other. The tournament resembles the FIFA World Cup in a pool-style draw.
This marks the tournament has been played since 2017. The Tigers have a steady stream of players in the tournament, ranging from MLB regulars to minor leaguers. Here is a history of Detroit Tigers who have played in the WBC.
- Canada: C Max St Pierre, Chris Robinson, P Steve Green (minors)
- Dominican Republic: INF Placido Polanco, P Fernando Rodney
- United States: P Todd Jones
- The Netherlands: P Jair Jurrjens
- Puerto Rico: C Ivan Rodriguez
- Venezula: INF Carlos Guillen, OF Magglio Ordonez
- Italy INF Tony Giarratano, P Jason Grilli
- Australia: P Brendan Wise (minors)
- The Netherlands: INF Yurendell de Caster
- Taiwan: P Fu-Te Ni
- United States: OF Curtis Granderson
- Venezula: INF Carlos Guillen
- Australia: P Warwick Saupold
- Canada: P Shawn Hill
- Dominican Republic: P Octavio Dotel
- Venezula: P Anibal Sánchez. INF Omar Infante, Miguel Cabrera
- Canada: P Dustin Molleken, (minors) INF Daniel Pinero (minors)
- Colombia: P William Cuevas
- The Netherlands: P Tom de Blok
- Puerto Rico: P Joe Jiménez
- United States: P Alex Wilson, Ian Kinsler
- Venezula: INF Miguel Cabrera, P Arcenio León (minors),P Francísco Rodriguez, Bruce Rondon, Victor Martinez
The World Baseball Classic starts in March during spring training. There will more announcements to come on who will join from the Tigers in the weeks to come.
Leave A Comment