Would you like to see the Detroit Lions on ‘Hard Knocks’ for a second straight season?
Apparently, it is being considered, as NFL Films has requested the Detroit Lions to make a volunteer appearance on the HBO show. According to the Detroit News, the decision stems from the league’s struggle to secure a team for the coming season. The Lions, who are not compelled to participate under NFL criteria, have simply been asked to consider the feature once again.
The NFL has the ability to force teams onto the show as long as they fall under certain qualifications. The Detroit Lions do not fall into this group, but the Chicago Bears, New Orleans Saints, Washington Commanders, and New York Jets all may get the nudge from the league. There has been no report of why a team has not been named yet.
Lions’ Previous Feature was Memorable
The Lions’ participation last year birthed a memorable ‘Hard Knocks’ season, chiefly due to their coaching staff, helmed by Dan Campbell. The Lions’ compelling narratives and energy made them stand-out. Like last season, there is no shortage of storylines and big personalities on this years squad.
Eight Lions’ Storylines for Hard Knocks’ to Run it Back
If the Lions are to reappear, they would undoubtedly serve up compelling television. Here are eight potential narratives:
- Key free agent signings, like Cam Sutton, Emmanuel Moseley, and, most notably, CJ Gardner-Johnson have revamped the defensive secondary. Imagine the camera panning to the dynamics between CJGJ, Kerby Joseph, and Tracy Walker.
- The Jameson Williams gambling controversy and 6-game suspension would add an unexpected twist to the story.
- Aidan Hutchinson, a Detroit native, is stepping into NFL stardom, alongside Alim McNeill, a budding star who’s taken untraditional approaches to improve his body and lifestyle. The pair would make for a fascinating watch. And let’s not forget James Houston’s journey towards 16+ sacks.
- Detroit’s rookie draft class, including Jahmyr Gibbs, Jack Campbell, Sam LaPorta, and Hendon Hooker, is a controversial yet need-heavy group. Each of them could potentially play a key role in reshaping the Lions’ future.
- Brian Branch was left at the NFL draft alter until the Lions traded up in the second round to snag him. Also, don’t overlook Brodric Martin. His charisma could easily capture America’s heart.
- The return of Halapoulivaati Vaitai and his bond with Penei Sewell, alongside Taylor Decker, Jonah Jackson and Frank Ragnow could give us an inside look at one of the league’s top offensive lines. Bonus points for Graham Glasgow’s personality shining on-screen.
- Calvin Johnson’s renewed relationship with the Lions could create a compelling narrative. Drawing parallels between his situation and Barry Sanders could speak volumes about the organization’s cultural reshaping.
- Last year’s coaching staff was a hit. They could easily steal the show again. Ben Johnson, a future star head coach, alongside charismatic figures like John Scott Jr. and Kelvin Sheppard could make for exciting TV.
Should the Lions Volunteer?
While the Lions’ return to ‘Hard Knocks’ is not yet confirmed, the potential storylines ensure the season would be anything but mundane.
What narratives would you like to see unfold at the Lions camp?
For more from our Detroit Lions beat writer, Matt Broder, check him out on Twitter here: @mattbro21
Tweet: @WoodwoodSports or comment on your favorite social media platform!
Photo Credit: © Jeffrey Becker-USA TODAY Sports