Ferguson Calls Out Chandler For Turning Down Fight
Tony Ferguson held nothing back while calling out UFC newcomer Michael Chandler for ducking him for a December match up. Ferguson took to Twitter to slam the former Bellator champ and claimed Chandler has already accepted another fight.
Chandler Wants Ferguson Fight To Serve As Co-Main For Poirier vs McGregor 2
Chandler made it clear in a recent interview that there is no way he’d fight Ferguson on December 12th. Although UFC 256 needs some help, Chandler wants the match up to take place as the co-main to Poirier vs McGregor 2.
“There is a 0% chance I’ll fight Tony Ferguson in December, and I 100% know he knew that, because the UFC already told him that, and I’ve already said I’ll see him in January. Now that we have Conor fighting Dustin it looks like that fight will get booked on Jan. 23 they need a co-main event. Why wouldn’t it be Chandler vs. Ferguson? The UFC didn’t offer me the fight in December, because they know I’m on a timeline now. I just made weight in October. Everybody knows I’m an active fighter and I’m constantly training, but I needed just four weeks off. Essentially, Tony is campaigning for us to fight in 3.5 weeks. Tony, you had the opportunity to fight me in October and you said no. You didn’t even bring up fighting in December until it was way past the 11th hour. Let’s be realistic and sign up for January 23rd.”
I don’t think Chandler is ducking anyone, but he needs to make his debut soon while the fire is hot. Truth be told I don’t think anyone would take a fight with Ferguson with only a 4 week camp. The UFC Lightweight division is by far the most exciting division in the organization and putting him on the UFC 257 card would be perfect. The match up could serve as a backup should Poirier or McGregor miss weight. I’m also for a 6-man Lightweight tournament as Chandler suggested last month, but we know Dana would never let that happen.