Football is back in Detroit. The Detroit Lions square off against the New York Giants at Ford Field in Detroit Friday night for the preseason opener. While it is unlikely that the starters will be playing much, the spotlight will shine brightly on the backups, each vying for critical roles and coveted roster spots. The clash should be a quality litmus test for both teams. Here’s everything you need to tune in to Friday night’s showdown.
Positional Battles Heat Up Ford Field
- Wide Receivers in Spotlight: The wide receiver room is buzzing. While Amon-Ra St. Brown, Marvin Jones Jr., Josh Reynolds, and Khalif Raymond have secured their spots, all eyes will be on Antoine Green and Dylan Drummond. Can they seize the moment, especially with Jameson Williams facing a six-game suspension?
- Running Back Rundown: While David Montgomery and Jahmyr Gibbs have secured their spots, others like Jermar Jefferson, Craig Reynolds, undrafted Mohamed Ibrahim, and the newly signed Benny Snell are all racing to find a place in the lineup.
- Defensive Line Dominance: Improved depth has ignited fierce competition on the defensive line. Rookies and seasoned players alike, such as Brodric Martin, Josh Paschal, Benito Jones, Levi Onwuzurike, Chris Smith, and Christian Covington, are all in the hunt for more playing time.
- Linebacker Landscape: Behind sure-starter Alex Anzalone, the young guns are looking to plant their flag. Rookie Jack Campbell aims to claim the weak-side linebacker slot, but Derrick Barnes and Malcolm Rodriguez, the latter an all-rookie last season, are not far behind.
- Securing the Secondary: After a complete makeover this offseason, players like Ifeatu Melifonwu, Will Harris, Chase Lucas, Starling Thomas, Khalil Dorsey, and Steven Gilmore are all looking to cement their roles.
- Jameson Williams Factor: Williams is a unique case. Suspended for the initial six games, he’s expeced to be featured prominently in preseason. Fans are eager to gauge his form and readiness. Dan Campbell expects to “douse” Williams with reps.
How to Watch
- Date: August 11, 2023
- Time: 7:00 p.m. EST
- Primary TV Broadcast: Fox-2 Detroit
- Play-By-Play: Jason Ross Jr.
- Color Analyst: Devin Gardner
- Sideline Reporter: Dannie Rogers
- Primary Radio Broadcast: 97.1 The Ticket
- Play-By-Play: Dan Miller
- Color Analyst: Lomas Brown
- Sideline Reporter: T.J. Lang
For fans seeking a different perspective, the Lions have a special treat with an alternate broadcast. Hosted by Peter Schrager from “Good Morning Football,” this stream can be accessed on detroitlions.com or the Detroit Lions Mobile App.
Guests Scheduled on the Alternate Broadcast:
- Brad Holmes – EVP and GM, Detroit Lions
- Chris Spielman – Special Assistant to the President/CEO, Detroit Lions
- Darren McCarty – Four-time Stanley Cup Champion
- Gary Danielson – Former Lions QB and current CBS Sports Analyst
- Glover Quin and Golden Tate – Former Lions standouts
- Jalen Rose – NBA veteran and Detroit native
- Kirk Gibson – Detroit Tigers legend
- Dave Birkett – Detroit Lions beat writer for the Detroit Free Press
- Stacey Dales – NFL Network reporter
Lions and Giants Preseason History
When it comes to preseason matchups, the Lions and Giants are no strangers. Their history spans 16 games dating back to 1949, with Detroit leading the series 10-5-1.
Friday night offers a glimpse into the Lions’ emerging talent. With so much at stake for many players, the evening should be action-packed.
For more from our Detroit Lions beat writer, Matt Broder, check him out on Twitter here: @mattbro21
Tweet: @WoodwoodSports or comment on your favorite social media platform!
Original Photo Credit: © Junfu Han / USA TODAY NETWORK